This quiz is designed to help give you some idea about whether a client might suffer from an eating disorder called binge eating disorder (BED). It’s based upon the actual diagnostic criteria used to diagnose this disorder.
INSTRUCTIONS: For each item, have your client indicate how much he or she agrees or disagrees with the statement. This takes most people less than two minutes to complete. Have them take their time and answer truthfully for the most accurate results.
1. I’ve experienced episodes of binge eating more than once.
2. My episodes of binge eating are characterized by eating during a specific period (say, within a 2-hour period), an amount of food that is larger than what most people would eat in a similar period, under similar circumstances
3. During my binge eating episodes, I’ve experienced a feeling that I lacked control over my eating (e.g., a feeling that I could not stop eating, or control what or how much I was eating during the episode).
4. The binge eating episodes I’ve experienced have included:
5. My episodes of binge eating cause me great concern or distress.
6. My binge eating episodes occur at least once a week for at least 3 months, on average.
7. I’m currently diagnosed with either bulimia or anorexia
8. How often do you experience your binge eating episodes?
To analyze the results of this quiz, go to psychcentral.com/chi-bin/binge-eating-quiz.cgi.